Old 12-03-2004, 05:05 AM
BenignVanilla

Default veggie filter

"melissa" wrote in message
hello,
i am researching before i leap headfirst into ponding. can someone
recommend a brand? or type? of veggie filter for a 300 gallon pond?
thanks for your help!

Melissa, when I built mine, I went with what I thought was the easy route.
It ended up having it's own problems, but basically I just built a second
shallow pond. I over plant that with Water Hyacinth, Iris, and a few other
misc plants for aesthetics. I built mine, much larger in surface are then
everyone recommended, just in case. The general rule of thumb is 10% of your
pond surface area. I am probably closer to 40%. So far, water params in my
first season were perfect, and dead on, and I don't have any filter media to
clean up.

Disclaimer: This will be my first post-winter experience, so we'll see how
the VF fairs. My two big worries this year are 1) jumpstarting the VF. I
need to get plants in there and get it rolling and 2) I let the leaves fall
where they may, and am hoping my bottom drain will help to move those to my
VF where they will be more easily cleaned up. We'll see.

IMHO, the VF is the way to go. It gives me a second water feature to look
at, and provides function at the same time. And the fact that I have no
prefilters or media to clean on a regular basis is another great feature.

BV.