Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 PM
melissa

Default veggie filter

hello,
i am researching before i leap headfirst into ponding. can someone
recommend a brand? or type? of veggie filter for a 300 gallon pond?
thanks for your help!
honeybe

Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Bonnie

melissa wrote:
hello,
i am researching before i leap headfirst into ponding. can someone
recommend a brand? or type? of veggie filter for a 300 gallon pond?
thanks for your help!
honeybe

Hi,

I don't know of any "brand" of veggie filter. Most of us
just design our own. For a 300 gallon pond, you could
probably use a Rubbermaid tub (30 gallons or larger).

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 08-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Ka30P

Hi Melissa,

We built a filter out a rubber maid stock
tank.
The water comes in the bottom and goes out the top from three holes DH drilled
in the side. The three holes have small lengths of pvc pipe in them. The water
then goes down the waterfall.

In the top of the filter we float water hyacinths. That's the veggie part. We
put a rope around the hyacinths to keep them from clogging the outlet.

kathy :-)
Old 09-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Ron, KC4YOY

i am researching before i leap headfirst into ponding.

You can visit our pond web page
and see the veggie filter I built
using a Rubbermaid stock tank.
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/Cement_Pond1.html

Works great, I had crystal clear water last summer.

Ron

Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Click on our pondsite and you can see our various veggie filters. They have
done well and don't need cleaning medium.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 12-03-2004, 05:05 AM
BenignVanilla

"melissa" wrote in message
hello,
i am researching before i leap headfirst into ponding. can someone
recommend a brand? or type? of veggie filter for a 300 gallon pond?
thanks for your help!

Melissa, when I built mine, I went with what I thought was the easy route.
It ended up having it's own problems, but basically I just built a second
shallow pond. I over plant that with Water Hyacinth, Iris, and a few other
misc plants for aesthetics. I built mine, much larger in surface are then
everyone recommended, just in case. The general rule of thumb is 10% of your
pond surface area. I am probably closer to 40%. So far, water params in my
first season were perfect, and dead on, and I don't have any filter media to
clean up.

Disclaimer: This will be my first post-winter experience, so we'll see how
the VF fairs. My two big worries this year are 1) jumpstarting the VF. I
need to get plants in there and get it rolling and 2) I let the leaves fall
where they may, and am hoping my bottom drain will help to move those to my
VF where they will be more easily cleaned up. We'll see.

IMHO, the VF is the way to go. It gives me a second water feature to look
at, and provides function at the same time. And the fact that I have no
prefilters or media to clean on a regular basis is another great feature.

BV.

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
How to create a veggie filter inside a existing pond? John Ponds 3 13-04-2003 02:08 AM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM