Old 12-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Janice

Default Raised Vegetable Garden Question

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:04:01 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Silvercaster wrote:
Hello,
This is my first time building a raised vegetable garden and have
quite a few questions.
The garden is going to be a foot deep underground and a foot above
ground.
The dimentions are going to be 8'x4'.
I'm going to use 2"x12" redwood lumber. It's not treated.

First, and I've heard yes and no to this question, should I treat the
redwood lumber that I am going to build the planter out of? If so,
with what?

Second, what kind of "L" brackets and screws will last the longest?
Should I use galvinized screws and brackets? if not what?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm probably gonna put raised beds in my garden this year. I was thinking
of using disposable lumber rather than expensive last-forever lumber: I'll
get the lowest grade 2x8 or 2x10 SPF (spruce, pine or fir) that I can find
that is sort-of straight and not split. I don't care about knots. Then
set up the beds and nail them together with 16d nails. The nails will be
going into end grain, which doesn't hold very well, but it shouldn't split
because I'll be driving them with a pneumatic framing nailer. To keep the
boards from bowing out, I'll drive pieces of rebar into the ground next to
them. There are few if any termites here, and the wood should last for
several years before it needs replacing.

That's the idea anyway.

Best regards,
Bob

Scavenged lumber is always out there to be had for those who keep
their eyes open and have a way to haul it. Course I would haul it in,
through, on a car. I sure miss my pickup, it was old, sucked gas, but
there are too many things I want to haul and cannot anymore. Pickups
used to be cheap, then they got popular and now even the old junkers
are over a grand used most of the time. *sigh*

Janice
One who used to judge the worth of a vehicle by how much manure it
would haul.