Old 12-03-2004, 07:47 PM
TN

Default Tree Help!

Hi Folks -

I live on Long Island.

Last fall, we lost our beloved american dogwood, which was the centerpiece
of the backyard. It was 80 years old, big round and craggy, a real gem, but
it has been dying a slow death from various ailments common to the species,
and it finally fell in a wind storm in December.

Anyway, there's a void out there in the backyard that my wife and I can't
stand anymore. We'd like another nice round show-piece type of tree in that
spot, perhaps a Kousa Dogwood or a Japanese Red, but the nursery size
versions of these trees are tiny... and will take forever to grow to the
size we like.

So at this point we're considering having a tree company locate us a mature
tree locally and transplant it here with a budget of about $2500. Besides a
Kousa or a Jap Red, are there any other recommendations out there?

Thanks for any advice.

Tom