Old 12-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Moso sending up shoots

My seedling moso, now perhaps 4 or 5 years old, is sending
up shoots (first noticed them a few days ago). So far the tallest
are under three feet tall, and the thickest definitely under two
inches across; that's thicker than I've seen before from this
seedling, but still disappointingly thin. The whole thing, new
shoots and all, is perhaps fifteen feet across, and today I scattered
about thirty pounds of cheap lawn fertilizer (no encapsulated
nitrogen, no time-release) over and around it, and gave it some
water. A few near-freezing dawns seem not to have damaged
the shoots. I hope that we're through with freezes until next
winter, but there's no guarantee of that here.

This is about the usual time for it to sprout, or maybe a little late.
I've had it shoot earlier and seen frost wipe out the first crop of
shoots; it obligingly sent up more, mostly thinner than the first.

I'm in north Florida, about the center of the peninsula where it
starts to become a peninsula, east of Gainesville, zone 8b.

Anyone else's moso beginning to send up shoots?

Mark., no squirrels yet