Old 12-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Moso sending up shoots

My seedling moso, now perhaps 4 or 5 years old, is sending
up shoots (first noticed them a few days ago). So far the tallest
are under three feet tall, and the thickest definitely under two
inches across; that's thicker than I've seen before from this
seedling, but still disappointingly thin. The whole thing, new
shoots and all, is perhaps fifteen feet across, and today I scattered
about thirty pounds of cheap lawn fertilizer (no encapsulated
nitrogen, no time-release) over and around it, and gave it some
water. A few near-freezing dawns seem not to have damaged
the shoots. I hope that we're through with freezes until next
winter, but there's no guarantee of that here.

This is about the usual time for it to sprout, or maybe a little late.
I've had it shoot earlier and seen frost wipe out the first crop of
shoots; it obligingly sent up more, mostly thinner than the first.

I'm in north Florida, about the center of the peninsula where it
starts to become a peninsula, east of Gainesville, zone 8b.

Anyone else's moso beginning to send up shoots?

Mark., no squirrels yet

Old 14-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Bob Johannessen

Mark. Gooley wrote:
[...]

Mark,

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and my moso have been putting up new
shoots for at least two weeks now. The folks out here say that moso
needs a lot of water during the shooting season in order to size up more
quickly but they also say it can take up to ten or twelve years to reach
large size (probably around 4" diameter).

Regards,

Bob Johannessen

Old 14-03-2004, 11:24 PM
No Weigh

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:15:59 +0000, Bob Johannessen wrote:

Mark. Gooley wrote:
[...]

I'm in S.E. Louisiana and have been shooting since the 3/11. This is the
2nd year - one grew 5" in 8 hrs. then 10 " in 18 hrs. Thanks for the tip
on watering....luckily its raining today.

Chris