Old 13-03-2004, 07:12 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Raised Vegetable Garden Question

"Silvercaster" wrote in message
m...
David,
Living in San Diego with little rainfall and no termites in the soil,
do you think untreated 2"x12" redwood will give me at least 5 years?

I was going to use redwood 2"x2" spikes at the corners and at the
middle of the 8' boards, but maybe I should go with a harder wood,
like ceder. you think?
Do you think this will hold together sufficently without "L" brackets?

Thanks everyone,

btw, I will look into the galvanized gutter spikes.

Robert

Sorry if I suggested I had experience with redwood in the garden - I don't.
It is fairly expensive and very rarely used for garden work here because we
have cheaper eucalyptus hardwoods, some of which are durable in contact with
the soil.

Part of the problem we have is that "redwood" and "cedar" may or may not be
the same species where you are and where I am. The cedar that I am used to
is also soft and brittle and far too expensive to use for such purposes.

My point about using suitable species untreated holds true but I cannot
advise you very much about the suitability of the materials that you have
available as it is foreign to me. Have you asked your local timber merchant
about this?

David