Old 13-03-2004, 11:27 PM
DaveT

Default bonsai questions

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:51:04 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:48:52 GMT, "Chris"
wrote:

Ok, I'm a Japan-o-phile, have been for many years.

Anyhoo, what I'm wondering about is the care and growth of the famous bonsai
tree.

How difficult is it? Is much "work" involved?

Depends on your location and the tree species anywhere from easy to
near-impossible!

Is there a bonsai cherry tree?

Yes, bonsai trees are regular trees subjected to special culture.
Some work out better than others.

Do bonsais flower or bear fruit?

They can, but flowers and fruit do *not * reduce in size. Generally a
grower will remove most to avoid overloading or sapping the energy
from the tree.

I've heard that wire is involved. Presumbly to inhibit growth, correct?

No, wiring (when used) is to train and shape branches. Growth is
inhibited by root and branch pruning and keeping the tree in small
containers.

If so, is it necessary to keep re-wiring the tree over time?

Yes, because the wire will cut into the branch if left too long --
again, species dependent. Some species do not adapt well to wiring,
for them a "clip & grow" technique is used.

All garden questions are welcome here, but you might try alt.bonsai or
rec.arts.bonsai, too.

Yes, take a look at rec.arts.bonsai; as well as the Internet Bonsai
Club at http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/. There are numerous
bonsai related sites on the web. You might also look for books on the
art at your local library to pick up on some of the basics.

DaveT