Old 12-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Chris

Default bonsai questions

Ok, I'm a Japan-o-phile, have been for many years.

Anyhoo, what I'm wondering about is the care and growth of the famous bonsai
tree.

How difficult is it? Is much "work" involved?

Is there a bonsai cherry tree? Do bonsais flower or bear fruit?

I've heard that wire is involved. Presumbly to inhibit growth, correct?
If so, is it necessary to keep re-wiring the tree over time?

Old 12-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Brian

Despite the best of intentions you will get very little help from any group
as this is such a vast subject. Libraries keep many books related to this
topic and would be your best avenue. Tried 'Google'?
Wire is used to control the shape of
growing branches.
Best Wishes.
om...

Old 13-03-2004, 12:02 AM
David J Bockman

Hi Chris,

Just fyi, there is a very informative newsgroup, rec.arts.bonsai.

Horticulturally speaking, bonsai isn't difficult at all. The artistry is
another matter. )

It's not work if you love what you're doing.

Yes, the genus Prunus has many great candidates for bonsai. Overall, Prunus
are short-lived trees and that is reflected in Prunus bonsai-- often older
specimen bonsai are drastically restyled over time as the odd branch here or
there fails, or rot sets in on trunk or main branches.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

om...

Old 13-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:48:52 GMT, "Chris"
wrote:

Ok, I'm a Japan-o-phile, have been for many years.

Anyhoo, what I'm wondering about is the care and growth of the famous bonsai
tree.

How difficult is it? Is much "work" involved?

Is there a bonsai cherry tree? Do bonsais flower or bear fruit?

I've heard that wire is involved. Presumbly to inhibit growth, correct?
If so, is it necessary to keep re-wiring the tree over time?

All garden questions are welcome here, but you might try alt.bonsai or
rec.arts.bonsai, too.

Old 13-03-2004, 11:27 PM
DaveT

wrote:

Ok, I'm a Japan-o-phile, have been for many years.

Anyhoo, what I'm wondering about is the care and growth of the famous bonsai
tree.

How difficult is it? Is much "work" involved?

Depends on your location and the tree species anywhere from easy to
near-impossible!

Is there a bonsai cherry tree?

Yes, bonsai trees are regular trees subjected to special culture.
Some work out better than others.

Do bonsais flower or bear fruit?

They can, but flowers and fruit do *not * reduce in size. Generally a
grower will remove most to avoid overloading or sapping the energy
from the tree.

I've heard that wire is involved. Presumbly to inhibit growth, correct?

No, wiring (when used) is to train and shape branches. Growth is
inhibited by root and branch pruning and keeping the tree in small
containers.

If so, is it necessary to keep re-wiring the tree over time?

Yes, because the wire will cut into the branch if left too long --
again, species dependent. Some species do not adapt well to wiring,
for them a "clip & grow" technique is used.

All garden questions are welcome here, but you might try alt.bonsai or
rec.arts.bonsai, too.

Yes, take a look at rec.arts.bonsai; as well as the Internet Bonsai
Club at http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/. There are numerous
bonsai related sites on the web. You might also look for books on the
art at your local library to pick up on some of the basics.

DaveT