Old 14-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Chris Hogg

Default Eucalyptus on chalk?

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:12:56 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:09:21 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

I don't know about your Eucalyptus, but Camellias like chalk, I believe.

Rusty, you must be thinking of something else! Although some of the
sasanqua camellias are tolerant of mildly alkaline soils (say pH up to
7.5), most require similar soils to the other lime-hating shrubs such
as azaleas, rhodies and many heathers, i.e. pH below 7. The pH of a
chalky soil is usually well above 7.5 IIRC.

Perhaps. So I ought to think again about growing tea, then? :-(

Well, if you did try growing it, you wouldn't get green tea! More like
chlorotic yellow :-)

--
Chris