Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Robert Davies

Default Eucalyptus on chalk?

I'd like to plant a Eucalyptus with a view to it making a largish
tree, but the bed I have in mind has thin, dry, very chalky soil.
Obviously I could try to improve the soil a little before planting,
but I've read mixed advice on whether Eucalypts tolerate alkaline
soil. Does anyone know whether they do and if so is there a variety
that would be particularly recommended in this situation? (Or would I
be better off planting something else * I also fancy a Betula utilis,
if that's what I'm thinking of, the birch with the white peeling bark
that looks quite spectacular in winter.)

Robert

Old 11-03-2004, 04:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Robert Davies" contains these words:

I'd like to plant a Eucalyptus with a view to it making a largish
tree, but the bed I have in mind has thin, dry, very chalky soil.
Obviously I could try to improve the soil a little before planting,
but I've read mixed advice on whether Eucalypts tolerate alkaline
soil. Does anyone know whether they do and if so is there a variety
that would be particularly recommended in this situation? (Or would I
be better off planting something else * I also fancy a Betula utilis,
if that's what I'm thinking of, the birch with the white peeling bark
that looks quite spectacular in winter.)

I don't know about your Eucalyptus, but Camellias like chalk, I believe.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:09:21 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

I don't know about your Eucalyptus, but Camellias like chalk, I believe.

Rusty, you must be thinking of something else! Although some of the
sasanqua camellias are tolerant of mildly alkaline soils (say pH up to
7.5), most require similar soils to the other lime-hating shrubs such
as azaleas, rhodies and many heathers, i.e. pH below 7. The pH of a
chalky soil is usually well above 7.5 IIRC.

--
Chris

Old 12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:
wrote:

I don't know about your Eucalyptus, but Camellias like chalk, I believe.

Rusty, you must be thinking of something else! Although some of the
sasanqua camellias are tolerant of mildly alkaline soils (say pH up to
7.5), most require similar soils to the other lime-hating shrubs such
as azaleas, rhodies and many heathers, i.e. pH below 7. The pH of a
chalky soil is usually well above 7.5 IIRC.

Perhaps. So I ought to think again about growing tea, then? :-(

Old 14-03-2004, 04:27 AM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

I don't know about your Eucalyptus, but Camellias like chalk, I believe.

Rusty, you must be thinking of something else! Although some of the
sasanqua camellias are tolerant of mildly alkaline soils (say pH up to
7.5), most require similar soils to the other lime-hating shrubs such
as azaleas, rhodies and many heathers, i.e. pH below 7. The pH of a
chalky soil is usually well above 7.5 IIRC.

Perhaps. So I ought to think again about growing tea, then? :-(

Well, if you did try growing it, you wouldn't get green tea! More like
chlorotic yellow :-)

--
Chris

Old 19-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Bob Dunlop

Robert Davies wrote:
I'd like to plant a Eucalyptus with a view to it making a largish
tree, but the bed I have in mind has thin, dry, very chalky soil.
Obviously I could try to improve the soil a little before planting,
but I've read mixed advice on whether Eucalypts tolerate alkaline
soil. Does anyone know whether they do and if so is there a variety

We have enough chalk in our soil it fizzes if you drop vinegar on
it. The eight different Eucalyptus are all fine, romping away
once they got above the deer forage line. Originally planted in
shallow holes with little or no soil improvement.

In my experience Eucalyptus is so rampant I had'nt even considered
they might be fussy about soil conditions.
--
Bob Dunlop