Old 15-03-2004, 01:12 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default growing seeds from dried peppers

zxcvbob wrote:

Has anyone successfully grown pepper plants from dried peppers from the
supermarket? I've grown seeds collected from ripe fresh peppers, but no
luck with the dried peppers -- even if they don't look heat treated. Are
the peppers irradiated or something? I bought a bag of peppers at an
Indian/Pakistani market and I'd like to try to grow them. They look like
little habaneros, but are not *nearly* as hot and they taste closer to
Mexican chile peppers. They are very seedy, and they look sun-dried rather
than oven-dried. But no seeds have germinated yet (2 weeks).

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Some hybrids don't have very viable seeds--the seeds are there but
they won't produce well or they won't produce the same
characteristics. I've never heard of peppers being treated in a way
that hurt the seeds. Potatoes get treated so they won't/resist
sprouting and that is an issue if you try to use commercial potatoes
as seed.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener