Old 15-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Something damaging my red twig dogwoods

Scott said:

Something keeps cutting my dogwoods. Check out this pictu

http://home.wi.rr.com/rusks/dogwood.JPG

It doesn't look they are being chewed off because the cuts are very
clean. The trimmed pieces are just left on the ground below. The
shrubs are only 3 feet tall max. I live in zone 5.

What could possibly be happening here?

Rabbits. They are cutting through the branches at the bottom in order to get
to the buds and softer wood/bark at the top.

I've had rabbits do this to shrub roses, raspberries, and aronia bushes.
They have very sharp incisors and make very clean cuts.

They often resort to this sort of feeding when the snow becomes crusty. The
height where they cut through the branches is influenced by snow depth.

(attributed to Don Marti)