Old 26-01-2003, 04:45 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Pot question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Cochrane"
Subject: [IBC] Pot question
The quality of the pot is
evident. Yours could be special depending upon the quality of the pot

apart
from the script.

Max Braverman, who Marty Haber recently identified as back from China, is
perhaps the most knowledgeable American enthusiast of old potting kilns.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Several years ago I bought a couple Very Large Japanese pots off another
dealer for a good price. I wanted to know their value.
I "traced" the stamps on the bottom with pencil/paper and sent them to Jim
Barrett in Ca. with a note describing them very well and with a SASE for
return.
Jim, the great guy he is, researched the stamps, told me what kilns in
Tokoname area and approx. when those colors/styles were made. One was still
being made , one not.
His estimated values a couple years ago were $800-1,100 for one and
$1,100-1,500 for the other as I recall now.
During a show I showed one of them to two importers and heard the same
figure from both as a price for one to be shipped to the US for
resale.....about $1,500.
Dale Cochoy
Yakimono no Kokoro Bonsai Pottery

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: