Old 16-03-2004, 01:40 AM
James Meiss

Default Rubbermaid filter life

In article ,
(Roger Grady) wrote:

My filter made from two Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gal. totes will be
entering its third year. Given the way these things distort when full
of water, and that they're exposed to a lot of sun, anybody have any
thoughts or experience on how long they last? It would ruin a lot more
than my day if one of them split and let the whole pond into my flower
garden.

I've been looking for some more of the tan color tubs like what I have
(because they blend in well with my rocks) but haven't found any. And
today I noted that Menard's was selling Rubbermaid 18 gal. totes that
look exactly like mine, but the tag on them just says "storage tote",
not Roughneck. Makes me wonder if they're using cheaper plastic or
something.

I've lost 1 in three years, but because of freezing in the winter--I
leave my waterfall on 24/7/52 in Colorado. I have mine supported on 3
sides by rocks and a wall, so the distortion is minimized. Also it is
hidden from the sun.

In the previous incarnation, I cut a hole near the bottom and mounted a
spigot, thinking that this would be a good place for draining the pond.
However, this region was also subject to freezing and the tote broke
near the gasket around my spigot. I was glad my pump wasn't in tha
absolute bottom of the pond!

Other than that, I think they work fine.

And yes, my waterfall runs all year round and makes great ice scupltures
in the winter.

--
Jim Meiss
http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm