Old 15-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Roger Grady

Default Rubbermaid filter life

My filter made from two Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gal. totes will be
entering its third year. Given the way these things distort when full
of water, and that they're exposed to a lot of sun, anybody have any
thoughts or experience on how long they last? It would ruin a lot more
than my day if one of them split and let the whole pond into my flower
garden.

I've been looking for some more of the tan color tubs like what I have
(because they blend in well with my rocks) but haven't found any. And
today I noted that Menard's was selling Rubbermaid 18 gal. totes that
look exactly like mine, but the tag on them just says "storage tote",
not Roughneck. Makes me wonder if they're using cheaper plastic or
something.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Old 15-03-2004, 11:45 PM

I want to prefilter the water going to my veggie filter too ... so I am thinking
about building a nice wood crate to hide the rubbermaid. stick a couple of those
hanging baskets on top and let the ivy drape over it. Ingrid

(Roger Grady) wrote:

My filter made from two Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gal. totes will be
entering its third year. Given the way these things distort when full
of water, and that they're exposed to a lot of sun, anybody have any
thoughts or experience on how long they last? It would ruin a lot more
than my day if one of them split and let the whole pond into my flower
garden.

I've been looking for some more of the tan color tubs like what I have
(because they blend in well with my rocks) but haven't found any. And
today I noted that Menard's was selling Rubbermaid 18 gal. totes that
look exactly like mine, but the tag on them just says "storage tote",
not Roughneck. Makes me wonder if they're using cheaper plastic or
something.

Roger Grady

To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 16-03-2004, 12:42 AM
James Meiss

In article ,
(Roger Grady) wrote:

My filter made from two Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gal. totes will be
entering its third year. Given the way these things distort when full
of water, and that they're exposed to a lot of sun, anybody have any
thoughts or experience on how long they last? It would ruin a lot more
than my day if one of them split and let the whole pond into my flower
garden.

I've been looking for some more of the tan color tubs like what I have
(because they blend in well with my rocks) but haven't found any. And
today I noted that Menard's was selling Rubbermaid 18 gal. totes that
look exactly like mine, but the tag on them just says "storage tote",
not Roughneck. Makes me wonder if they're using cheaper plastic or
something.

I've lost 1 in three years, but because of freezing in the winter--I
leave my waterfall on 24/7/52 in Colorado. I have mine supported on 3
sides by rocks and a wall, so the distortion is minimized. Also it is
hidden from the sun.

In the previous incarnation, I cut a hole near the bottom and mounted a
spigot, thinking that this would be a good place for draining the pond.
However, this region was also subject to freezing and the tote broke
near the gasket around my spigot. I was glad my pump wasn't in tha
absolute bottom of the pond!

Other than that, I think they work fine.

And yes, my waterfall runs all year round and makes great ice scupltures
in the winter.

--
Jim Meiss
http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm

Old 16-03-2004, 05:14 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Instead of rubbermaid there is a great tote I found at Hardware stores
(Lowe's here) that have rope handles. They come in 20 gallon round ($5) and
30 gallon (I think) rectangle ($8-10) and they hold water with no support
no bowing.
~ jan
Old 16-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Adrian J. Bauer

I just had the same "great idea" and have a spigot made from PVC fixtures at
the bottom of my new skippy filter. I had a tough time sealing it and am
now wishing i hadn't cut that hole! I think I have it pretty water tight
with a rubber ring and plenty of silicone for good measure. If it
eventually leaks it will be a slow one. I'll start it up this weekend and
see how it holds. The tub was about 20 bucks so I won't be out a ton of
money just alot of time and effort.

Adrian

Old 16-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Sean Dinh

If it leaks again, you could use electrical pvc parts to fix it. Since their
threads don't taper like irrigation pvc parts, they could be tighten all the
way. The spigot I made doesn't need gasket nor sealant.

Old 16-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Sean Dinh

"Adrian J. Bauer" wrote:

I just had the same "great idea" and have a spigot made from PVC fixtures at
the bottom of my new skippy filter. I had a tough time sealing it and am
now wishing i hadn't cut that hole! I think I have it pretty water tight
with a rubber ring and plenty of silicone for good measure. If it
eventually leaks it will be a slow one. I'll start it up this weekend and
see how it holds. The tub was about 20 bucks so I won't be out a ton of
money just alot of time and effort.

Bare root strawberries (shelf life, indoor life - to survive in thefrost, ready to plant outside)? gar_newbie Gardening 5 25-03-2009 09:20 PM
Rubbermaid stock tank drain plug size? Oingofan Ponds 8 06-11-2004 10:04 PM
Rubbermaid trough filter?? Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:14 PM
Rubbermaid trough filter?? Ponds 0 01-09-2004 04:24 PM
Rubbermaid Containers Doug Ulberg Ponds 10 19-06-2003 12:32 PM