Old 17-03-2004, 06:45 AM
sOOZee fAgg

Default black bamboo

I have a backyard filled with Black bamboo.......

How much do you want ?

"hollenback" wrote in message
link.net...
"Maria Blakesley" wrote in message
om...
I have managed to kill off an extremely expensive black bamboo that I
had in a large pot. Can anyone advise if they do require large
amounts of water or could I have overdone it. It looked fairly
healthy when I bought it. Do bamboos in pots require special feeding?
I'd like to have another go but as it's an expensive mistake, don't
want to repeat it. Should they be given special treatment in winter?

Maria,
Sorry for your loss.
It is easy to over water bamboo in pots. In the winter I have found that
they prefer dryer well drained soil. The same plant that in the summer

grows
great sitting in a pan of water will tip burn the leaves because of to

much
water if the soil is moist inside in winter. With most bamboos you can

watch
the leaves and figure out the water needs. If you water to much the leaves
will die starting at the tips. If you under water most bamboos the leaves
will start to roll into a tube.
Also try to keep the humidity up around the plant by sitting the pot on a
tray full of pebbles with water in the bottom and misting.

Bill
w_hollenbackathotmail.com