Old 27-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Maria Blakesley

Default black bamboo

I have managed to kill off an extremely expensive black bamboo that I
had in a large pot. Can anyone advise if they do require large
amounts of water or could I have overdone it. It looked fairly
healthy when I bought it. Do bamboos in pots require special feeding?
I'd like to have another go but as it's an expensive mistake, don't
want to repeat it. Should they be given special treatment in winter?
Old 27-02-2004, 05:30 PM
hollenback

"Maria Blakesley" wrote in message
om...
I have managed to kill off an extremely expensive black bamboo that I
had in a large pot. Can anyone advise if they do require large
amounts of water or could I have overdone it. It looked fairly
healthy when I bought it. Do bamboos in pots require special feeding?
I'd like to have another go but as it's an expensive mistake, don't
want to repeat it. Should they be given special treatment in winter?

Maria,
Sorry for your loss.
It is easy to over water bamboo in pots. In the winter I have found that
they prefer dryer well drained soil. The same plant that in the summer grows
great sitting in a pan of water will tip burn the leaves because of to much
water if the soil is moist inside in winter. With most bamboos you can watch
the leaves and figure out the water needs. If you water to much the leaves
will die starting at the tips. If you under water most bamboos the leaves
will start to roll into a tube.
Also try to keep the humidity up around the plant by sitting the pot on a
tray full of pebbles with water in the bottom and misting.

Bill
w_hollenbackathotmail.com

Old 17-03-2004, 06:45 AM
sOOZee fAgg

I have a backyard filled with Black bamboo.......

How much do you want ?

link.net...

Old 19-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Travis

sOOZee fAgg wrote:
I have a backyard filled with Black bamboo.......

How much do you want ?

Where are you?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 20-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Starlord

I paid for a start of Black Bamboo and got this tiny little piece of
root with just the start of a new root coming from it. I hope it does
ok, I put it in a pot so I can feed water it and I hope if it gets big
enough I can add it to my High Mojave Desert garden.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

Old 26-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Registered User

Hello
I am new to the forum, and my fingers aren't so green yet...
I have been looking for black bamboo for months now...
I am enquiring if you would be willing to part with some of yours?
And
I currently own spriral bamboo and was hoping for information for its maintenance... am I able to plant it in soil or does it require water only?

Many thanks for any information you can give to me...

Little_One