Old 17-03-2004, 01:29 PM
J Jackson

Default Garlic (again)

Oxymel of Squill wrote:
: I think you're a bit late. Onions and garlic go in the ground on xmas day,
: gives them longer growing time as they reach the finishing post in June/July

Well I've read a fair bit of advice on onions/shallots/garlic and the
above seems somewhat garbled.

For UK Common advice for

shallots plant at shortest day harvest at longest
But I plant in Nov and harvest when they start to dry out.

Onion Sets (usual ones, not the autumn/japonese varieties) plant out
later, usually advice is between Feb and Apr, depending on weather.
Onions planted out too early don't grow on and are prone to attack from
nasties.

Garlic plant out in autumn (Oct/Nov) - I've done this for many years and
they do fine. Garlic is amazing hardy and frost resistant and starts
growing almost immediately planted out despite the cold.

: "Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi!
:
: I posted a message earlier but it doesn't seem to have appeared ...
:
: I have some rather nice garlic at home which I wish to grow.
:
: Having read on uk.r.g and other places, it seems that garlic needs to be
: cold for a while (planted out during winter). If I break up the head and
: plant the cloves now will it be ok, or should I do something like pop it
: in
: the freezer for a week?
:
: Cheers,