Old 17-03-2004, 04:44 AM
Lee BARRASS

Default Garlic (again)

Hi!

I posted a message earlier but it doesn't seem to have appeared ...

I have some rather nice garlic at home which I wish to grow.

Having read on uk.r.g and other places, it seems that garlic needs to be
cold for a while (planted out during winter). If I break up the head and
plant the cloves now will it be ok, or should I do something like pop it in
the freezer for a week?

Cheers,

Lee.
www.menumania.co.uk

Old 17-03-2004, 04:44 AM
Rhiannon S

Subject: Garlic (again)
From: "Lee BARRASS"
Date: 16/03/2004 16:22 GMT Standard Time
Hi!

I posted a message earlier but it doesn't seem to have appeared ...

I have some rather nice garlic at home which I wish to grow.

Having read on uk.r.g and other places, it seems that garlic needs to be
cold for a while (planted out during winter). If I break up the head and
plant the cloves now will it be ok, or should I do something like pop it in
the freezer for a week?

I planted some in my grandmother's veg patch a few years ago in April and it
grew and cropped fine. I'd just bung it in the ground.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 17-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Oxymel of Squill

I think you're a bit late. Onions and garlic go in the ground on xmas day,
gives them longer growing time as they reach the finishing post in June/July

Old 17-03-2004, 01:29 PM
J Jackson

Oxymel of Squill wrote:
: I think you're a bit late. Onions and garlic go in the ground on xmas day,
: gives them longer growing time as they reach the finishing post in June/July

Well I've read a fair bit of advice on onions/shallots/garlic and the
above seems somewhat garbled.

For UK Common advice for

shallots plant at shortest day harvest at longest
But I plant in Nov and harvest when they start to dry out.

Onion Sets (usual ones, not the autumn/japonese varieties) plant out
later, usually advice is between Feb and Apr, depending on weather.
Onions planted out too early don't grow on and are prone to attack from
nasties.

Garlic plant out in autumn (Oct/Nov) - I've done this for many years and
they do fine. Garlic is amazing hardy and frost resistant and starts
growing almost immediately planted out despite the cold.

: "Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi!
:

Old 18-03-2004, 09:38 AM
J Jackson

J Jackson wrote:
: Oxymel of Squill wrote:
: : I think you're a bit late. Onions and garlic go in the ground on xmas day,
: : gives them longer growing time as they reach the finishing post in June/July

: Well I've read a fair bit of advice on onions/shallots/garlic and the
: above seems somewhat garbled.

: For UK Common advice for

: shallots plant at shortest day harvest at longest
: But I plant in Nov and harvest when they start to dry out.

: Onion Sets (usual ones, not the autumn/japonese varieties) plant out
: later, usually advice is between Feb and Apr, depending on weather.
: Onions planted out too early don't grow on and are prone to attack from
: nasties.

: Garlic plant out in autumn (Oct/Nov) - I've done this for many years and
: they do fine. Garlic is amazing hardy and frost resistant and starts
: growing almost immediately planted out despite the cold.

Forgot the most important thing - this is only advice - and much advice is
simply stuff repeated parrot fashion. Many plants are pretty adaptable and
you don't have to follow the rules. For garlic plant out now - the bulbs
may or may not be smaller than those planted last autumn, but you will get
garlic bulbs! It always worth given stuff a go.

: : "Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Hi!
: :

Old 18-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Victoria Clare

J Jackson wrote in
:

Many plants are pretty adaptable and
you don't have to follow the rules. For garlic plant out now - the
bulbs may or may not be smaller than those planted last autumn, but
you will get garlic bulbs! It always worth given stuff a go.

Hear, hear!

I have found that if you accidentally plant late and the bulbs look a bit
tiddly, you can always leave 'em in for a second year. They don't seem to
mind.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 18-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Martin Sykes

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.10...
| I have found that if you accidentally plant late and the bulbs look a bit
| tiddly, you can always leave 'em in for a second year. They don't seem to
| mind.

I forgot to lift some garlic last year and was expecting them to just
continue bulking up this year. Instead, each individual clove has sent up a
shoot this year so I've got lots of little clumps of garlic instead of large
single bulbs.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 18-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Martin Sykes

Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Arnold

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:22:57 GMT, whilst Caruthers was ****ing the
maid stupid, (much to her great delight) this amazing cracker arrived
from "Lee BARRASS" not wishing to put
Caruthers of his stroke I decided to deal with it:

If I break up the head and plant the cloves now will it be ok,
or should I do something like pop it in the freezer for a week?

I never put mine in the freezer. I put the cloves in the fridge for
about 6 weeks then plant out end of Feb begining of March.
I plant 20 to 30 cloves each year in two rows with parsley planted at
each end of the rows. The area is in the poorest part of the garden.
Not cultivated over much, quite deliberate because I also grow herbs
which require poor soil. I've never weighed the results but I get
enough for two strings which last into early Feb. The cloves seem to
be at their best in January. I buy fresh loose bulbs from the local
supermarket(!), taste tested, each year. I never use manure but water
about once a week depending on moisture in the soil.

I tried planting out in December as advised but my results were poor.

Arni.
Life Saving Advice:

" You can always tell when a politician is lying.
Their lips move."
- Max Headroom

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic (again) Lee BARRASS United Kingdom 5 17-03-2004 04:44 AM
Garlic (again) Lee BARRASS United Kingdom 0 17-03-2004 04:42 AM
Garlic (again) Lee BARRASS United Kingdom 1 17-03-2004 04:41 AM