Old 17-03-2004, 07:49 PM
John Gotts

Default growing seeds from dried peppers

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:50:36 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

Has anyone successfully grown pepper plants from dried peppers from the
supermarket? I've grown seeds collected from ripe fresh peppers, but no
luck with the dried peppers -- even if they don't look heat treated. Are
the peppers irradiated or something? I bought a bag of peppers at an
Indian/Pakistani market and I'd like to try to grow them. They look like
little habaneros, but are not *nearly* as hot and they taste closer to
Mexican chile peppers. They are very seedy, and they look sun-dried rather
than oven-dried. But no seeds have germinated yet (2 weeks).

I grew a habanero plant I purchased at Lowes last summer. I slowly dried out
the peppers I harvested (with no heat) and after a few months I planted the
seeds from one fruit in a seed starter. I had excellent germination and now I
have 8 new pepper plants starting to flower. It's still too cold to put them
outside and I have had no luck with hand pollination but I should have a nice
harvest this fall.

--
John GOTTS http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts