Old 18-03-2004, 10:12 AM
J Jackson

Default Garlic (again)

J Jackson wrote:
: Oxymel of Squill wrote:
: : I think you're a bit late. Onions and garlic go in the ground on xmas day,
: : gives them longer growing time as they reach the finishing post in June/July

: Well I've read a fair bit of advice on onions/shallots/garlic and the
: above seems somewhat garbled.

: For UK Common advice for

: shallots plant at shortest day harvest at longest
: But I plant in Nov and harvest when they start to dry out.

: Onion Sets (usual ones, not the autumn/japonese varieties) plant out
: later, usually advice is between Feb and Apr, depending on weather.
: Onions planted out too early don't grow on and are prone to attack from
: nasties.

: Garlic plant out in autumn (Oct/Nov) - I've done this for many years and
: they do fine. Garlic is amazing hardy and frost resistant and starts
: growing almost immediately planted out despite the cold.

Forgot the most important thing - this is only advice - and much advice is
simply stuff repeated parrot fashion. Many plants are pretty adaptable and
you don't have to follow the rules. For garlic plant out now - the bulbs
may or may not be smaller than those planted last autumn, but you will get
garlic bulbs! It always worth given stuff a go.

: : "Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Hi!
: :
: : I posted a message earlier but it doesn't seem to have appeared ...
: :
: : I have some rather nice garlic at home which I wish to grow.
: :
: : Having read on uk.r.g and other places, it seems that garlic needs to be
: : cold for a while (planted out during winter). If I break up the head and
: : plant the cloves now will it be ok, or should I do something like pop it
: : in
: : the freezer for a week?
: :
: : Cheers,