Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Arnold

Default Garlic (again)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:22:57 GMT, whilst Caruthers was ****ing the
maid stupid, (much to her great delight) this amazing cracker arrived
from "Lee BARRASS" not wishing to put
Caruthers of his stroke I decided to deal with it:

If I break up the head and plant the cloves now will it be ok,
or should I do something like pop it in the freezer for a week?

I never put mine in the freezer. I put the cloves in the fridge for
about 6 weeks then plant out end of Feb begining of March.
I plant 20 to 30 cloves each year in two rows with parsley planted at
each end of the rows. The area is in the poorest part of the garden.
Not cultivated over much, quite deliberate because I also grow herbs
which require poor soil. I've never weighed the results but I get
enough for two strings which last into early Feb. The cloves seem to
be at their best in January. I buy fresh loose bulbs from the local
supermarket(!), taste tested, each year. I never use manure but water
about once a week depending on moisture in the soil.

I tried planting out in December as advised but my results were poor.

Arni.
Life Saving Advice:

" You can always tell when a politician is lying.
Their lips move."
- Max Headroom