Old 18-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Looking for Paph adductum

TRAINMAN9 wrote:

Anyone know of a US source for these species. When first introduced it was
called p. elliotianum.

Well... Actually that is a bit of a mixup. The commonly held
elliotianum is actually rothschildianum. Guido Braem has a whole rant
about it, in one of his paph monographs. And in person, too... I think
(working without a net) that P. adductum was described by Asher (one of
my mentors, now deceased). The mists of time seem to suggest that Braem
thinks Asher made a mistake, and the species was indeed first described
as elliottianum (ca 1900). However, the plants used in breeding and
marketed as 'elliotianum' were confused very early on, and were
exclusively roths. Now, I'm not sure who is right, but I'm quite sure
the plant currently marketed as elliotianum is actually
rothschildianum. You don't see 'P. elliotianum' much lately, as I think
most everybody has sorted it out to their satisfaction. That doesn't
mean that there aren't some adductums posing as elliotianum out there,
but I think that is a pretty rare case.

Anyway, if I recall, Braem still thinks that P. adductum should be
called P. elliotianum, based on the rules of priority. But that hasn't
stuck, for some reason. Or maybe roth should be called elliotianum.
Or maybe something else. I hate working without references... Now, of
course, I'm going to actually have to research this... grrrrr...
Tomorrow I'll probably print a retraction. *grin*

Anyway... I got an adductum ( a real one!) from Orchid Zone, years
ago. I don't know who else might have it. You could try Sam Tsui
(Orchid Inn). It isn't in his catalog, but I'm sure he has some. I
also purchased one from Taylor Orchids (Monroe, MI), a few years ago,
but that was a division. For what it is worth, it is a pain in the rear
for me to grow, not that this means anything, as I don't typically grow
multiflorals to perfection. Slow to the point of stasis in my hands.

Rob
2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit