Old 18-03-2004, 05:17 PM
TRAINMAN9

Default Looking for Paph adductum

Anyone know of a US source for these species. When first introduced it was
called p. elliotianum.

Thanks

Old 18-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Rob Halgren

TRAINMAN9 wrote:

Anyone know of a US source for these species. When first introduced it was
called p. elliotianum.

Well... Actually that is a bit of a mixup. The commonly held
elliotianum is actually rothschildianum. Guido Braem has a whole rant
about it, in one of his paph monographs. And in person, too... I think
(working without a net) that P. adductum was described by Asher (one of
my mentors, now deceased). The mists of time seem to suggest that Braem
thinks Asher made a mistake, and the species was indeed first described
as elliottianum (ca 1900). However, the plants used in breeding and
marketed as 'elliotianum' were confused very early on, and were
exclusively roths. Now, I'm not sure who is right, but I'm quite sure
the plant currently marketed as elliotianum is actually
rothschildianum. You don't see 'P. elliotianum' much lately, as I think
most everybody has sorted it out to their satisfaction. That doesn't
mean that there aren't some adductums posing as elliotianum out there,
but I think that is a pretty rare case.

Anyway, if I recall, Braem still thinks that P. adductum should be
called P. elliotianum, based on the rules of priority. But that hasn't
stuck, for some reason. Or maybe roth should be called elliotianum.
Or maybe something else. I hate working without references... Now, of
course, I'm going to actually have to research this... grrrrr...
Tomorrow I'll probably print a retraction. *grin*

Anyway... I got an adductum ( a real one!) from Orchid Zone, years
ago. I don't know who else might have it. You could try Sam Tsui
(Orchid Inn). It isn't in his catalog, but I'm sure he has some. I
also purchased one from Taylor Orchids (Monroe, MI), a few years ago,
but that was a division. For what it is worth, it is a pain in the rear
for me to grow, not that this means anything, as I don't typically grow
multiflorals to perfection. Slow to the point of stasis in my hands.

Rob
2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 18-03-2004, 11:06 PM
TRAINMAN9

Well... Actually that is a bit of a mixup. The commonly held
elliotianum is actually rothschildianum.

I remember when adductum first made it's way to the US at least in modern
times. If I recall it was in the late 70's or early 80's. At that time it was
being sold by the name p. elliotianum and touted as the poor mans roth.

Then I think the people who imported these plants had some of them bloom and
they then re-identified them as adductum. Funny but my partner and I always
thought they named it adductum because it rhymed with "I F***** Them" (please
excuse the french) since thousands of growths were sold at good prices as p.
elliotianum, at least in the Philadelphia area and a lot of people were fooled.
I think the Norris Powell consortium were the ones who originally brought these
in.

When the name changed the price dropped to about five dollars a growth from
thirty-five or fourty per growth. At that point we bought 10 or 15 multiple
growth plants.

I don't ever think we bloomed any of them and they have long since been sold or
died, my partner closed down the business about five years ago.

I've been looking for a plant for the last couple of years without much luck.