Old 19-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Bob Dunlop

Default Eucalyptus on chalk?

Robert Davies wrote:
I'd like to plant a Eucalyptus with a view to it making a largish
tree, but the bed I have in mind has thin, dry, very chalky soil.
Obviously I could try to improve the soil a little before planting,
but I've read mixed advice on whether Eucalypts tolerate alkaline
soil. Does anyone know whether they do and if so is there a variety

We have enough chalk in our soil it fizzes if you drop vinegar on
it. The eight different Eucalyptus are all fine, romping away
once they got above the deer forage line. Originally planted in
shallow holes with little or no soil improvement.

In my experience Eucalyptus is so rampant I had'nt even considered
they might be fussy about soil conditions.
--
Bob Dunlop