Old 19-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Cucumber Seeds.

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

I only ever grow a few cucumbers each year, so I saved the rest of the
packet and palnted the remainder this year, more than three weeks ago.
The seed have not germinated. Do cucumber seeds have a short viable
lifetime? I have packs of other types of seeds from way-back-when and these
seem to be viable for years.

As long as you have kept them in a dry place, (but not arid) and they
haven't got too hot, they should be OK. I've planted (successfully)
cucumber seeds which were several years old.

If you haven't kepr the (planted) seeds warm enough they may have
rotted. I always water them with a little fungicide the first time, and
once more with fungicide when they have emerged, to prevent damping-off.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/