Old 19-03-2004, 04:11 AM
andrewpreece

Default Cucumber Seeds.

I only ever grow a few cucumbers each year, so I saved the rest of the
packet and palnted the remainder this year, more than three weeks ago.
The seed have not germinated. Do cucumber seeds have a short viable
lifetime? I have packs of other types of seeds from way-back-when and these
seem to be viable for years.

Andy

Old 19-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Gary Poston

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
I only ever grow a few cucumbers each year, so I saved the rest of the
packet and palnted the remainder this year, more than three weeks ago.
The seed have not germinated. Do cucumber seeds have a short viable
lifetime? I have packs of other types of seeds from way-back-when and

these
seem to be viable for years.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Funny you should say that, I have had the same problem.
After inspection I noticed that the seed itself has gone soft. I think my
case is that I have over watered them or the temperature has been to low for
germination as we have had some severe frosts down this neck of the woods.
I'm going to try again this weekend, fingers crossed they will germinate
this time

Regards

Gary Poston

Old 19-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

I only ever grow a few cucumbers each year, so I saved the rest of the
packet and palnted the remainder this year, more than three weeks ago.
The seed have not germinated. Do cucumber seeds have a short viable
lifetime? I have packs of other types of seeds from way-back-when and these
seem to be viable for years.

As long as you have kept them in a dry place, (but not arid) and they
haven't got too hot, they should be OK. I've planted (successfully)
cucumber seeds which were several years old.

If you haven't kepr the (planted) seeds warm enough they may have
rotted. I always water them with a little fungicide the first time, and
once more with fungicide when they have emerged, to prevent damping-off.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 19-03-2004, 06:20 PM
shazzbat

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
I only ever grow a few cucumbers each year, so I saved the rest of the
packet and palnted the remainder this year, more than three weeks ago.
The seed have not germinated. Do cucumber seeds have a short viable
lifetime? I have packs of other types of seeds from way-back-when and

these
seem to be viable for years.

Are they indoors, greenhouse or where? I would have thought it was a bit
early for cucumbers yet. My nearest to hand book says sow late April under
glass, late May outdoors.

HTH

Steve

Old 19-03-2004, 07:32 PM
andrewpreece

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
I only ever grow a few cucumbers each year, so I saved the rest of the
packet and palnted the remainder this year, more than three weeks ago.
The seed have not germinated. Do cucumber seeds have a short viable
lifetime? I have packs of other types of seeds from way-back-when and

these
seem to be viable for years.

Are they indoors, greenhouse or where? I would have thought it was a bit
early for cucumbers yet. My nearest to hand book says sow late April under
glass, late May outdoors.

HTH

Steve

They were planted in pots in my greenhouse. Since I'm in the SouthWest I
was thinking I'd get ahead of the game a little and start early. I shall
start
again and plant some more and try to germinate them on my windowsill, if
I can find any space!

thanks,

Andy.

Old 20-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

They were planted in pots in my greenhouse. Since I'm in the SouthWest I
was thinking I'd get ahead of the game a little and start early. I shall
start
again and plant some more and try to germinate them on my windowsill, if
I can find any space!

Dig one up and squeeze it gently. If it squirts smelly white blearghhhhh
it's dead....

But, gently. It might be sleeping still.