Old 20-03-2004, 12:32 AM
David J Bockman

Default Which shrubs to choose?

"Suja" wrote in message
news:AEH6c.15799$Cf3.2901@lakeread01...
Made the mistake of checking the ForestFarm site, and decided to go
through their list of plants. Now I have a long list of shrubs and trees
I want, and am trying to figure out which ones I should order or attempt
to find locally. The FF online catalog is very stingy with details, and
I've tried to fill in the gaps as much as possible with info from the
web, but am still unclear about which plants will do well.

I have a lot of land, and the plants will go in conditions of either
light shade or full sun. If there is a particular shrub that is a must
have and needs more shade, I am sure I can find a spot for it. The sunny
spots drain really well (on a slope), the shadier spots less well. The
soil is amended clay and slightly acidic. I'm in Zone 7a, Northern VA
(about 30 minutes West of DC), where the winter lows get close to 0 F,
and the summers are insanely hot and humid. Oh, and we have tons of
deer, so deer resistant shrubs would be preferable, although I certainly
don't have any problems taking the trouble to protect the special plants.

Acer palmatum 'Villa Taranto'

Fine tree, but almost all of the palmatums do better in dappled sunshine.
Certain varieties like 'Bloodgood' and 'Crimson Queen' tolerate full sun,
but still will bronze out a bit.

Camellia 'Winter's Interlude'

All Camellia should have early morning sun protection and if possible, high
shade at mid day-- under tall pines for example is a great spot.

Chaenomeles 'Cameo'

Fine

Cryptomeria Japonica 'Spiralis'

I'm not familiar with that cultivar, but it's a fine tree for our area.

Fuschia 'Aurea'
Kerria Japonica Picta

Picta must have good to deep shade. The shadier the better.

Magnolia Sieboldii

Lovely.

Viburnum carlesii 'Compacta'

I don't know a 'Compacta', there is a 'Compactum' that is supposed to be a
fine dwarf variety. Not being anal, just make sure you are getting the shrub
you want.

I'm concerned with all this land that you will end of witha rather random
design to the garden. Have you considered hiring a designer?

Dave, also in Fairfax.