Old 20-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Suja

Default Which shrubs to choose?

David J Bockman wrote:

Fine tree, but almost all of the palmatums do better in dappled sunshine.
Certain varieties like 'Bloodgood' and 'Crimson Queen' tolerate full sun,
but still will bronze out a bit.

I do have an East facing location near the house that might be better
for this. I was also considering a Sango Kaku to complete a triad of
trees, but the area is most definitely full sun, and now I think I
should go back to my default, a standard weeping cherry.

All Camellia should have early morning sun protection and if possible, high
shade at mid day-- under tall pines for example is a great spot.

Why early morning protection? This one will probably go against the
house, on the East side. I believe that it will have shade early on
because of all the other trees that are near it.

Picta must have good to deep shade. The shadier the better.

I realize that it likes some shade, but didn't think that it needed
heavy shade. I have a fairly good (and long) treeline, and can use this
to underplant, but I do want it where I can see it, and that might
defeat the purpose

Lovely.

What I've read suggests that it might be marginally hardy in this area.
Do you know if that is a problem?

I don't know a 'Compacta', there is a 'Compactum' that is supposed to be a
fine dwarf variety. Not being anal, just make sure you are getting the shrub
you want.

That's what FF called it.
http://www.forestfarm.com/search/clo...lantID=vica041

I'm concerned with all this land that you will end of witha rather random
design to the garden. Have you considered hiring a designer?

I don't think that the garden will lack cohesion, because I do have a
master plan, although I am doing it a little bit at a time. The reason
I haven't asked for professional help is primarily because I'm a wannabe
gardner (I only have 5 or 6 years of experience total), and I learn best
by doing. The other problem of course is that what I want is generally
not what you see in these parts, a bunch of low maintenance evergreens
bordered by liriope. Not to say that a designer can't help, just that I
have not seen a garden in anyone's home that I've really coveted in
these parts. Too cookie cutter for me. Besides, I'm a cottage gardner
at heart, and would most likely give the designing sorts a few heart
attacks. I like barely organized chaos. Eventually, I will probably
need guidance from some sort of a designer, because about 80% of my
property is in shade, and I'd be waay out of my league when it comes to
woodland gardening.

Any ideas on where I can get all this stuff? I am hoping to find
sources locally (I'll check Merrifield and Betty's) so that I don't have
to pay FF's shipping charges.

Suja