Old 20-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] fertilizing after transplanting

There's no reason to NOT fertilize. It will NOT burn the
roots -- unless you apply at 4-5 times label strength. Give

half
strength if you feel you must, but I have always fertilized

newly
potted trees as I fertilize all my others and at label

strength.

We had an article on fertilizing (or rather nitrogen) in the

swedish
bonsai societys newsletter (Written by a woman who works for

SLU the
Swedish "agricultural university"). I agree thet there is no

need to
wait with fertilizing for a well established plant with a good

set of
roots. But for a plant with few roots eg a Yamadori tree, or a

nursery
tree that has undergone som major root pruning it might be a

good idea
to hold back on the nitrogen. The lack of nitrogen will

stimulate root
growth. If you donīt fertilize at all for a few weeks or just

use a low
nitrogen fertilizer will probably not matter.

OK, but a balanced fertilizer will be OK too. The tree will use
what it needs, and only what it needs, and excess N will leach
out with the next watering.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++