Old 18-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] fertilizing after transplanting

Howlong is a good time to wait to fertilize bonsai after being transplanted?
Thanks, Colin Horn SanFrancisco Bay Area, CA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 3/18/2004 5:56:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

How long is a good time to wait to fertilize bonsai after being
transplanted?
Thanks, Colin Horn SanFrancisco Bay Area, CA

I mix Osmocote in the soil as I repot.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 19-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Jim Lewis

Howlong is a good time to wait to fertilize bonsai after being
transplanted?
Thanks, Colin Horn SanFrancisco Bay Area, CA

5 minutes?

There's no reason to NOT fertilize. It will NOT burn the
roots -- unless you apply at 4-5 times label strength. Give half
strength if you feel you must, but I have always fertilized newly
potted trees as I fertilize all my others and at label strength.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Henrik Gistvall

Jim Lewis wrote:

Howlong is a good time to wait to fertilize bonsai after being

transplanted?
Thanks, Colin Horn SanFrancisco Bay Area, CA

5 minutes?

There's no reason to NOT fertilize. It will NOT burn the
roots -- unless you apply at 4-5 times label strength. Give half
strength if you feel you must, but I have always fertilized newly
potted trees as I fertilize all my others and at label strength.

We had an article on fertilizing (or rather nitrogen) in the swedish
bonsai societys newsletter (Written by a woman who works for SLU the
Swedish "agricultural university"). I agree thet there is no need to
wait with fertilizing for a well established plant with a good set of
roots. But for a plant with few roots eg a Yamadori tree, or a nursery
tree that has undergone som major root pruning it might be a good idea
to hold back on the nitrogen. The lack of nitrogen will stimulate root
growth. If you donīt fertilize at all for a few weeks or just use a low
nitrogen fertilizer will probably not matter.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Old 20-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

OK, but a balanced fertilizer will be OK too. The tree will use
what it needs, and only what it needs, and excess N will leach
out with the next watering.