Old 21-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Rod

Default Fence/Hedge

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:26:49 -0000, "kiloran"
wrote:

I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

--Kiloran

You've got your veg - what about fruit?
Cordon grown Red/White currants,Gooseberries.
Raspberries, Blackberries, hybrid berries.
Depending on the height you want - cordon/espalier/step-over apples
and pears.
Fan trained plum.
Add a few ornamentals,a few late flowering clematis scrambling through
everything.
Winter flowering Jasmine.
There's a lovely little Prunus incisa with a Japanese name I can't
remember, that's flowering now.
Any more? - I think you know where to find me :-)
Rod

Weed my email address to reply