Old 21-03-2004, 04:19 AM
kiloran

Default Fence/Hedge

I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

--Kiloran

Old 21-03-2004, 04:19 AM
Chris Boulby

In message , kiloran
writes
I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

--Kiloran

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would surround a veggie
patch with privet, so good thing its dying, but they don't die easily in
my experience, so better see what's killing it? But to your question,
what about blueberries perhaps?

--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Old 21-03-2004, 04:19 AM
nambucca

"kiloran" wrote in message
I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

--Kiloran

how about

Pyracantha

Escallonia

Old 21-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Rod

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:26:49 -0000, "kiloran"
wrote:

I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

--Kiloran

You've got your veg - what about fruit?
Cordon grown Red/White currants,Gooseberries.
Raspberries, Blackberries, hybrid berries.
Depending on the height you want - cordon/espalier/step-over apples
and pears.
Fan trained plum.
Add a few ornamentals,a few late flowering clematis scrambling through
everything.
Winter flowering Jasmine.
There's a lovely little Prunus incisa with a Japanese name I can't
remember, that's flowering now.
Any more? - I think you know where to find me :-)
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Old 21-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:26:49 -0000, kiloran wrote:

I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

How about making sure the fence is very neatly built and painted
a bright white - a real New England white picket fence, iow. A
garden is, after all, an artificial creation and there's naught
amiss with emphasizing some aspects of the artificiality.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 22-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Spider

Hi Kiloran,
Privet (Ligustrum) is a prime target for Honey Fungus (Armillaria).
Before planting any woody plants on the site, make sure that H'Fungus isn't
present. Also, rhubarb and strawberry plants can be affected, so these
should be kept away from the hedge site if H'Fungus is suspected.
Once the hedge is removed and the fence erected, you will need to seriously
improve the soil before planting anything.
Although a productive screen would seem an attractive idea, many are
high-maintenance, and fewer still would make a solid screen.
A suggested screen might be holly (Ilex). The variety 'J.C. van Tol' is
self-fertile, ensuring attractive winter berries. If you wanted to
supplement the holly's tiny flowers, you could train a summer-flowering
climber through its branches once the screen was sufficiently established.
Spider

Old 22-03-2004, 02:16 AM
Spider

kiloran wrote in message
I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

--Kiloran

what to use for 138 ft boundary between neighbours both sides?hedge or fence. kenty ;-\) United Kingdom 4 01-05-2004 09:06 PM
Fence/Hedge kiloran United Kingdom 0 21-03-2004 04:18 AM
Hedge right next to fence = problem ? Lecher9000 Gardening 4 29-09-2003 12:04 AM
Pine needles [was: Hedge right next to fence = problem?] [email protected] Gardening 2 28-09-2003 07:12 PM
non-flowering vine or hedge fence coverupadvice needed Henry Gardening 0 14-03-2003 09:44 PM