Old 21-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Bill

Default New House - New Grass

You could get regular old lawn fertilizer and just follow the directions.

-or-

If you want to be scientific, find a farm supply, university agricultural
extension office http://www.ext.vt.edu/offices/ or agricultural lab which
does soil testing. This can be done for under $100.

The place which does soil testing will provide you with soil sample bags
usually, a form to fill out, and instructions. When I did it, I dug down to
a certain depth and took samples from three different areas of my yard.
Then I combined the soil in a bucket and mixed it all up. (Averages the
soil from three different spots.) Then I placed a sample of that into the
bag. Then wrote my name, etc. on bag, then filled out the form telling them
it was a lawn with rye grass growing there. Then checked off which tests I
wanted done on the sample.

Then they sent me back a soil analysis which no one could possibly
understand, but the person at the farm supply (who did understand it) told
me specifically which fertilizers to use, how much to use, and when to
apply it.

Soil testing takes the guess work out. You know exactly what is needed for
what you are growing. Repeat the testing every few years. (This is what
farmers do so they apply just what is needed.)

"Samuel Warren" wrote in message
I bought a home in November 2003, grass was seeded and covered with a

light
mulch, over a "construction grade topsoil". Now that spring is starting
here in Northern Virginia, the grass is growing well and has a good green
color do it. All the other yards in hood, have grass that is still

brown.
I also bought a new lawn tractor with spreader attachment. I have never
done, any grass/yard work before. What should I put on the lawn, to keep

it
going good, and at the same time keeping out some of the wire grass from

the
yard next door?