Old 21-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Fence/Hedge

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:26:49 -0000, kiloran wrote:

I have a privet hedge about 3ft high around my vegetable plot. It's old.
It's tired. It need frequent clipping. It's dying.

I plan on replacing it with a light wooden fence, which I intend to screen
with a variety of plants.

I want:

Flowers in the summer and interest (berries/foliage) in the winter.
Little maintenance, apart from the odd bit of pruning.
Good screening of the fence
Variety
Not too thick

Location is west central Scotland.

Suggestions?

How about making sure the fence is very neatly built and painted
a bright white - a real New England white picket fence, iow. A
garden is, after all, an artificial creation and there's naught
amiss with emphasizing some aspects of the artificiality.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada