Old 21-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Dante Mincin

Default Burning bush

I'll go with the lighter prune for now and do the heavier one later in the
year.

Thanks Dan

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message

"Dante Mincin" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a planting of five burning bush plants that have grown large

and
into
each other. Can I prune them back a third at this time of year and
I'm in Maryland.

I'm no expert but I live in northern DE and see buds on mine. I would

not
prune this severely at this time myself.
I have done this much pruning in the dead of winter and it did not harm
them.
Frank

Mine, not the compact form unfortunately, has grown massive and I whack at
it frequently (OK, I really do "prune" it, but you get the idea) with no

ill
effects whatsoever, regardless of the season. Given the invasive nature of
this shrub in many parts of the eastern US, I would save the heaviest
pruning for right after they bloom to prevent any seed development.

pam - gardengal