Old 21-03-2004, 11:59 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Default orchids from oversea

Subject: orchids from oversea
From: tonette
Date: 3/19/2004 2:11 PM Eastern Standard Time
I want to order some orchids from VietNam and/or Thailand. I understand
the vendors will issus Cites to import their orchids to US. My question
is do I need any other papers here in the US to import plants from
oversea, I am just a hobby grower. Any info's is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you need an import permit (I can't help you through the process, I've
never done it, sorry). You have to check with the grower, and make sure they
will issue CITES permits, and phytosanitary permits as well. You should also
make sure you check ahead of time what the price for them to provide those
permits will be... And make sure it is a reputable place, you can get pretty
nasty fines if they screw up the permits for CITES protected plants, as well as
getting the plants destroyed by customs.

-

theoneflasehaddock