Old 25-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] air layering for new nebari

It helps if you also twist a wire tightly around the trunk just
under the top edge of the cut.

David Thoreau - Walden

Marty us bang on with his advice. I always leave all the leaves

on. One
point that may need clarification is that bit about possibly

cutting a
bit deep. Don't be too hesitant with the cut. Use a sharp knife

and go
through the bark to the wood. Then use the edge of the blade to

scrape
the layer of cambium away. If this isn't done, the layer often

fails or
bridges the gap, in my experience.

Good luck

Kev Bailey
Wales UK

Subject: [IBC] air layering for new nebari

`I plan on air layering an acer palmatum this spring.. in order

develop
a completely new set of roots.
Once the new leaves begin to hardern off in the spring.... I

want to
layer
the tree with a complete ring at the base of trunk.
and hopefully... by mid to late summer....remove the old root

base and
transplant. what i'm thinking.. is
can i leave all the foliage up top while the roots are

beginning to
form?
will it stress the tree too much
to leave all the top foliage as is?? or does the old root

system
continue
to nourish the tree
even though it has been ringed?