Old 24-03-2004, 02:10 PM
computer user

Default OT- Pop Up help

Mariana,

I'm late to this discussion, so I apologize if I repeat anything already =
mentioned. If you are using Windows XP, then you have to turn on the =
built-in firewall. Click Start - settings - control panel - networking. =
On one of the tabs is something like "protect my computer ...". Choose =
it and that will stop the messages from coming in. You also should turn =
off the Windows Messenger service (different from instant messenger). =
The easiest way is to go to www.grc.com and download the file =
killthemessenger.exe. Once you run it you can turn off this XP service.

If you are not using WindowsXP, then they might be annoying ads from =
websites. I use the free popupmanager from www.endpopups.com. There =
are others out there too. I like this one because it blocks the ads =
quietly, but still allows you to see them if there is something you =
want.

Let me know if you need more help and I'll communicate by way of email - =
assuming the one you have listed here is real (which is another story =
all together).

Anne

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message =
et...
| Well, I've installed Mozilla, The Google toolbar, SpyBot, and I still =
get
| pop ups. No where as much as prior to the installations, but I =
certainly
| get enough. Where is it coming from, how did it get to my machine
|=20
| Mariana
|=20
| "tennis maynard" wrote in message
| Fred Garvin wrote:
|

| Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
| Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS =
or
| web browser. How sad it that????
|

| How sad is it that nearly everyone buys this inferior product (from =
| company whose main product is apparently patches for flaws in its =
other
| products) instead of the superior Mac product (has its own browser,
| Safari, which also stops all popups, and not (so far) vulnerable
| viruses.??

|=20