Old 23-03-2004, 12:42 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default OT- Pop Up help

Well, I've installed Mozilla, The Google toolbar, SpyBot, and I still get
pop ups. No where as much as prior to the installations, but I certainly
get enough. Where is it coming from, how did it get to my machine

Mariana

"tennis maynard" wrote in message
Fred Garvin wrote:

Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS or
web browser. How sad it that????

How sad is it that nearly everyone buys this inferior product (from a
company whose main product is apparently patches for flaws in its other
products) instead of the superior Mac product (has its own browser,
Safari, which also stops all popups, and not (so far) vulnerable

viruses.??

Old 23-03-2004, 04:11 AM
Steve

GrlIntrpted wrote:

Well, I've installed Mozilla, The Google toolbar, SpyBot, and I still get
pop ups. No where as much as prior to the installations, but I certainly
get enough. Where is it coming from, how did it get to my machine

Mariana

Are the pop ups happening when you open a web site? If so, look
through the preferences in Mozilla to see where to choose to block
them. (I can't help you because I'm not sure if it's similar to the
Netscape 7.1 that I use or not.)

If the pop ups are happening at random having nothing to do with the
web site you are on, I'm telling you (again) that installing and
using Ad-aware will put a stop to it.

Steve

Old 24-03-2004, 01:11 PM
computer user

Mariana,

I'm late to this discussion, so I apologize if I repeat anything already =
mentioned. If you are using Windows XP, then you have to turn on the =
built-in firewall. Click Start - settings - control panel - networking. =
On one of the tabs is something like "protect my computer ...". Choose =
it and that will stop the messages from coming in. You also should turn =
off the Windows Messenger service (different from instant messenger). =
The easiest way is to go to www.grc.com and download the file =
killthemessenger.exe. Once you run it you can turn off this XP service.

If you are not using WindowsXP, then they might be annoying ads from =
websites. I use the free popupmanager from www.endpopups.com. There =
are others out there too. I like this one because it blocks the ads =
quietly, but still allows you to see them if there is something you =
want.

Let me know if you need more help and I'll communicate by way of email - =
assuming the one you have listed here is real (which is another story =
all together).

Anne

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message =
et...
| Well, I've installed Mozilla, The Google toolbar, SpyBot, and I still =
get
| pop ups. No where as much as prior to the installations, but I =
certainly
| get enough. Where is it coming from, how did it get to my machine
|=20
| Mariana
|=20
| "tennis maynard" wrote in message
| Fred Garvin wrote:
|

| Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
| Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS =
or
| web browser. How sad it that????
|

| How sad is it that nearly everyone buys this inferior product (from =
| company whose main product is apparently patches for flaws in its =
other
| products) instead of the superior Mac product (has its own browser,
| Safari, which also stops all popups, and not (so far) vulnerable
| viruses.??

|=20

Old 24-03-2004, 01:22 PM
computer user

Mariana,

I'm late to this discussion, so I apologize if I repeat anything already =
mentioned. If you are using Windows XP, then you have to turn on the =
built-in firewall. Click Start - settings - control panel - networking. =
On one of the tabs is something like "protect my computer ...". Choose =
it and that will stop the messages from coming in. You also should turn =
off the Windows Messenger service (different from instant messenger). =
The easiest way is to go to www.grc.com and download the file =
killthemessenger.exe. Once you run it you can turn off this XP service.

If you are not using WindowsXP, then they might be annoying ads from =
websites. I use the free popupmanager from www.endpopups.com. There =
are others out there too. I like this one because it blocks the ads =
quietly, but still allows you to see them if there is something you =
want.

Let me know if you need more help and I'll communicate by way of email - =
assuming the one you have listed here is real (which is another story =
all together).

Anne

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message =
et...
| Well, I've installed Mozilla, The Google toolbar, SpyBot, and I still =
get
| pop ups. No where as much as prior to the installations, but I =
certainly
| get enough. Where is it coming from, how did it get to my machine
|=20
| Mariana
|=20
| "tennis maynard" wrote in message
| Fred Garvin wrote:
|

| Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
| Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS =
or
| web browser. How sad it that????
|

| How sad is it that nearly everyone buys this inferior product (from =
| company whose main product is apparently patches for flaws in its =
other
| products) instead of the superior Mac product (has its own browser,
| Safari, which also stops all popups, and not (so far) vulnerable
| viruses.??

|=20

Old 24-03-2004, 01:32 PM
computer user

Mariana,

I'm late to this discussion, so I apologize if I repeat anything already =
mentioned. If you are using Windows XP, then you have to turn on the =
built-in firewall. Click Start - settings - control panel - networking. =
On one of the tabs is something like "protect my computer ...". Choose =
it and that will stop the messages from coming in. You also should turn =
off the Windows Messenger service (different from instant messenger). =
The easiest way is to go to www.grc.com and download the file =
killthemessenger.exe. Once you run it you can turn off this XP service.

If you are not using WindowsXP, then they might be annoying ads from =
websites. I use the free popupmanager from www.endpopups.com. There =
are others out there too. I like this one because it blocks the ads =
quietly, but still allows you to see them if there is something you =
want.

Let me know if you need more help and I'll communicate by way of email - =
assuming the one you have listed here is real (which is another story =
all together).

Anne

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message =
et...
| Well, I've installed Mozilla, The Google toolbar, SpyBot, and I still =
get
| pop ups. No where as much as prior to the installations, but I =
certainly
| get enough. Where is it coming from, how did it get to my machine
|=20
| Mariana
|=20
| "tennis maynard" wrote in message
| Fred Garvin wrote:
|

| Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
| Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS =
or
| web browser. How sad it that????
|

| How sad is it that nearly everyone buys this inferior product (from =
| company whose main product is apparently patches for flaws in its =
other
| products) instead of the superior Mac product (has its own browser,
| Safari, which also stops all popups, and not (so far) vulnerable
| viruses.??

|=20

Old 24-03-2004, 02:10 PM
computer user

Mariana,

I'm late to this discussion, so I apologize if I repeat anything already =
mentioned. If you are using Windows XP, then you have to turn on the =
built-in firewall. Click Start - settings - control panel - networking. =
On one of the tabs is something like "protect my computer ...". Choose =
it and that will stop the messages from coming in. You also should turn =
off the Windows Messenger service (different from instant messenger). =
The easiest way is to go to www.grc.com and download the file =
killthemessenger.exe. Once you run it you can turn off this XP service.

If you are not using WindowsXP, then they might be annoying ads from =
websites. I use the free popupmanager from www.endpopups.com. There =
are others out there too. I like this one because it blocks the ads =
quietly, but still allows you to see them if there is something you =
want.

Let me know if you need more help and I'll communicate by way of email - =
assuming the one you have listed here is real (which is another story =
all together).

Anne

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message =
et...
| Well, I've installed Mozilla, The Google toolbar, SpyBot, and I still =
get
| pop ups. No where as much as prior to the installations, but I =
certainly
| get enough. Where is it coming from, how did it get to my machine
|=20
| Mariana
|=20
| "tennis maynard" wrote in message
| Fred Garvin wrote:
|

| Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
| Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS =
or
| web browser. How sad it that????
|

| How sad is it that nearly everyone buys this inferior product (from =
| company whose main product is apparently patches for flaws in its =
other
| products) instead of the superior Mac product (has its own browser,
| Safari, which also stops all popups, and not (so far) vulnerable
| viruses.??

|=20