Old 25-03-2004, 03:38 AM
chagoi

Default DIY Bead Filter for Skimmer

Drew Cutter wrote:

Could you go more in detail about vortex separator ?

The system I have has an 18 gal [vortex container], a 12 gal [Pump
Chamber/Bio-Media Oxygenator Container].

[vortex container}
water flows into vortex via 2- 2" siphons 1 as a bottom drain and the
other 1' under in surface. The outflow of the siphons enters the vortex
at the bottom of the container through 2-90 degree elbows causing a CW
rotation of the water. The water leaves the vortex just below the
surface, and flows down to the bottom of the pumpchamber.

[PC/BMOC]
water is piped down to the middle of the container. the pump is sitting
6" off the bottom of the container (to allow for additional debree
settling) 3 air stones attached to a dual output aquarium air pump are
placed 120 degrees apart, slightly below the water inlet. Water is
returned to the pond via a 1500 GPM pump.

I started the system, once everything was running satisfactorly I turned
on the air pump and began adding the bio-media until just before it
stops "boiling" freely.

Chagoi