Old 22-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Drew Cutter

Default DIY Bead Filter for Skimmer

Would a bead filter be the best bet for Oasis biosys ip-200 skimmer ?

Old 23-03-2004, 01:33 AM
RichToyBox

Bead filters are the easiest filters to clean, which is what makes them
popular. There are better filters, but none that you can clean in a tux,
like the bead filters. I started out with just a skimmer with a bottom
drain feeding into the front of it and a bubble bead filter for my larger
pond. Due to fish load, the frequency of cleaning increased, due to more
solids, so I added a vortex separator, and then increased the size of the
bead filter.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Drew Cutter

Could you go more in detail about vortex separator ?

Old 23-03-2004, 01:35 AM
RichToyBox

The vortex separator is a drum that the water enters at the side, and due to
the slowing velocity, the solids fall out to the bottom, while the water
goes around in a slow circle and exits from the center near the top. Most
of the manufactured ones have a conical bottom, which allows the sediment to
accumulate in a nice low area for easy discharge by opening a bottom drain.
If the flow rate gets too high it will tend to mix the solids back into the
water and do nothing.

Old 23-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Drew Cutter

I've decided not have any fish . I do have the option of have 2-4 fish
in the future. I've design the pond so that it can accept fish later on.
Trying to do things on the cheap. Home made. I do have two 55 gal.
plastic drum just waiting to be modified. One for bead and other for
waste material from skimmer. I'm trying find a local dealer of kaldness
beads. Do i need some type of aeration (adding a air pump ) to aid the
beads in staying clean or just power wash the beads ?

Old 23-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Drew Cutter

I think the vortex would be ideal for a fish pond. Low maintenance is a
desire of mine for the pond. My biggest worry is leaves and cats. I have
seen raccoons , but rare. thanks.

Old 25-03-2004, 02:29 AM
chagoi

Drew Cutter wrote:

Could you go more in detail about vortex separator ?

The system I have has an 18 gal [vortex container], a 12 gal [Pump
Chamber/Bio-Media Oxygenator Container].

[vortex container}
water flows into vortex via 2- 2" siphons 1 as a bottom drain and the
other 1' under in surface. The outflow of the siphons enters the vortex
at the bottom of the container through 2-90 degree elbows causing a CW
rotation of the water. The water leaves the vortex just below the
surface, and flows down to the bottom of the pumpchamber.

[PC/BMOC]
water is piped down to the middle of the container. the pump is sitting
6" off the bottom of the container (to allow for additional debree
settling) 3 air stones attached to a dual output aquarium air pump are
placed 120 degrees apart, slightly below the water inlet. Water is
returned to the pond via a 1500 GPM pump.

I started the system, once everything was running satisfactorly I turned
on the air pump and began adding the bio-media until just before it
stops "boiling" freely.

Chagoi