Old 25-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] "Indoor Bonsai" (was: willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves)1

Good Day to All,

Guess who just figured out that Too-Little needs semi shade
and a sheltered position when grown on the side of a hill
in the tropics.Ha ha ha.

Lots of leaves and branches.No more strange die-backs.

Sometimes I can be so dense.Obviously not all of these Ficus
types are adapted to hot sun and drying winds.
Additionally,thus far,Chinese Pistachio[from seed]needs no
refrigeration,just a cool,heavily sheltered spot in the garden.
Ha,let's see if I am talking proud next March[2005]-ha ha ha.

Seems as though what Arthur Atkinson remarked on our
greater abundance of concentrated sunshine makes a
difference to growing anything in the shade or indoors.
As opposed to someone further up in say the Temperates.

It is becoming more and more obvious that many trees can
adapt and thrive in the Tropics,provided certain conditions
are met.
Though I believe those trees with top temperatures of 80 to
85 deg.F[say 22 to 32 deg.C]for short periods would need
more than just heavy shade and moist air.

Isn't Bonsai/Penjing a great hobby.So many chances to learn.
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

*Buxus and Ligustrum do better in the shade down here or
strange die-backs will occur,even Elaeagnus and Sloe [Prunus?]
will grow.
______

Well, I don't have a greenhouse, but my ficus trees, succulents, and

Kingsville
boxwoods have done fine indoors under lights.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++