Old 25-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Shiva

Default bugs

John wrote:

Been using Bayer Rose and Flower bug killer for my roses. I've got worms,
aphids and white flys. The aphids don't seem to want to go away... should I
just continue weekly administrations or more frequent?

Aphids can be controlled by blasts of water in a fine spray.
You should do this every day from when you first see them
until they are gone. (I know this sounds like a long
shot, but it works. Once you blast them off they can't
get back up on the plant.)

I've never used Bayer, so I can't help you there. I
do find that a combination "systemic" (safe for the
environment once dry and then kills anything that
is actually EATING the rose, as opposed to a
"Contact" which kills whatever it is sprayed on and
pretty much stops there)insecticide and fungicide,
along with frequent washdowns, controls all insects
and fungal diseases for me here in NC. (I think your
black spots may be "black spot," a fungal disease.)

The combo insecticide/fungicide I use is called
Orthenex, and you use it every ten days. However:
if you weally, weally care about the eviwonment,
you should first go to great lengths to decide
EXACTLY what insect you have, then just apply
leetle tiny doses of whatever kills that
particular kind of insect. This will take most
of your free time. Me, I just apply the Orthonex
every 10 days to 2 weeks. It works.

On the bad side--you have to wear a respirator
to apply the stuff, because it IS bad news to
lungs etc. when wet. This is the double-edged
sword of effective insect control.

Good luck.