Old 26-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Mike

Default Any suggestions how to stop blackberries taking over?

"biscuit" wrote in message
The only way I found was to dig them out - but it isn't easy (cut all the
branches back to ground level first and then dig down) - you will probably
find runners so follow them along and pull them out. Run the secateurs

down
along the thorns and remove some of them before getting to grips with the
gloves.

I don't think he actually wants them out, he wants to 'control' them. The
best I can recommend is to drive some stakes or angle irons in where you
would 'like' them to grow and train them along wires stretched between the
stakes or angle irons.

Once you let them do their own thing, you end up with a 'heap' of spindly
things arching over and covering an area of at least 10 feet either way
:-(( Try reaching into the middle of that to pick the fruit :-((

Mike