Old 26-03-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Any suggestions how to stop blackberries taking over?

Hi,

We seem to have loads of very nastily thorned blackberries in our back
garden. One is even impossible to tend with gloves on the thorns are
that sharp / many.

Is it possible to tidy them up in any way?
We have one thorn less bush in to far left of the garden but it keeps
getting swamped with the thornier ones.

I love the berries but would like to contain them in some way... Is it
possible?
Old 26-03-2004, 07:09 PM
biscuit

The only way I found was to dig them out - but it isn't easy (cut all the
branches back to ground level first and then dig down) - you will probably
find runners so follow them along and pull them out. Run the secateurs down
along the thorns and remove some of them before getting to grips with the
gloves.
wrote in message
news
Hi,

We seem to have loads of very nastily thorned blackberries in our back
garden. One is even impossible to tend with gloves on the thorns are
that sharp / many.

Is it possible to tidy them up in any way?
We have one thorn less bush in to far left of the garden but it keeps
getting swamped with the thornier ones.

I love the berries but would like to contain them in some way... Is it
possible?

---

Old 26-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Mike

"biscuit" wrote in message
The only way I found was to dig them out - but it isn't easy (cut all the
branches back to ground level first and then dig down) - you will probably
find runners so follow them along and pull them out. Run the secateurs

down
along the thorns and remove some of them before getting to grips with the
gloves.

I don't think he actually wants them out, he wants to 'control' them. The
best I can recommend is to drive some stakes or angle irons in where you
would 'like' them to grow and train them along wires stretched between the
stakes or angle irons.

Once you let them do their own thing, you end up with a 'heap' of spindly
things arching over and covering an area of at least 10 feet either way
:-(( Try reaching into the middle of that to pick the fruit :-((

Mike

Old 26-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Cerumen

wrote in message
news
Hi,

We seem to have loads of very nastily thorned blackberries in our back
garden. One is even impossible to tend with gloves on the thorns are
that sharp / many.

Is it possible to tidy them up in any way?
We have one thorn less bush in to far left of the garden but it keeps
getting swamped with the thornier ones.

I love the berries but would like to contain them in some way... Is it
possible?

Just prune them heavily each year after fruiting with a long handled
scythe or slash hook.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 26-03-2004, 09:17 PM
David Hill

If you have the room to train them on wires then if you can have wires
running either side of the plants you train the growth one way this year,
then next year the new growth goes the other way, this makes it easy to cut
out the old wood after fruiting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-03-2004, 09:47 PM
David Hill

If you have the room to train them on wires then if you can have wires
running either side of the plants you train the growth one way this year,
then next year the new growth goes the other way, this makes it easy to cut
out the old wood after fruiting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
Lily Pads taking over hammr Ponds 4 26-07-2004 03:02 PM
BUTTERCUPS ARE TAKING OVER THE GARDEN!!!! Mick709 Gardening 1 24-05-2004 06:02 AM
Mexican Drug Lords Taking Over America's National Parks and Forests Fred Elbel alt.forestry 0 29-07-2003 03:05 PM
Ground Ivy taking over my lawn Dave K Lawns 10 16-07-2003 02:43 AM