Old 27-03-2004, 12:14 AM
Robert

Default Planting grass in the spring

Thanks,

That was just what I was looking for:

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/pubs/ag69.html

FWIW - I spoke to the people at my local Southern States store yesterday and
they recommended straw for spring seeding and no straw for fall seeding.

Robert

"DonS" wrote in message
. com...
In article , brad heidinger

wrote:
Oh yeah,
I don't personally use wheat straw. I believe it only brings weed seeds

into
the
yard as well as my neighbors.

My experience has been much better when using wheat straw than without.

I'm
not sure if it does a better job of keeping the seed moist, confusing

birds,
etc.

Of course, after 20+ years of reseeding fescue, I'm looking to start

moving
the yard over to Zoysia or similar this year.

If you haven't seen it, the NC State web site has nice info on

establishing
and maintaining a lawn. The publication used to be called "Carolina

Lawns" or
somthing like that.

-don