Old 24-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Robert

Default Planting grass in the spring

I know that the fall is a better time to plant grass seed around here but I
have a need to get some planted now in some spots I've dug up or added
topsoil to. Does anyone have any tips on planting grass now? Straw or no
straw? Ironite? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 24-03-2004, 07:37 PM
brad heidinger

I suggest planting an annual rye. It grows quickly and greens nicely. The
drawback is that it is short lived. It worked wonders on some erosion problems
I had last year. I did some landscaping in the Spring and my regular grass
became ruined in a few spots from heavy foot traffic during the construction. I
planted annual rye and bingo I had grass again. It croaked by the end of
September but at that point I was ready to Fall seed.

To establish the grass I added small amounts of starter fertilizer to the soil.
Scratched up the soil and sowed the seed. Kept moist until established. The
seed isn't cheap seed but it does work well. Expect to re-seed in the Fall with
a more appropriate grass seed. Hope this helps.

Brad

Old 24-03-2004, 07:37 PM
brad heidinger

Oh yeah,
I don't personally use wheat straw. I believe it only brings weed seeds into the
yard as well as my neighbors. If you plant now, you won't have to worry about the
soil drying out. Just make sure the soil stays moist. Mother Nature usually takes
care of that, but you never know.

As far as Ironite goes, I am not a big fan. It greens up a lawn quickly but it
doesn't promote the health of the grass. People can have a greener lawn without all
the fuss by feeding the roots in the Fall with a quality slow release fertilizer.
Healthy roots will give rise to healthy green vegetation. Just my $0.02

Brad

Old 25-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Baine Carruthers

Brad

If you're in the triangle area, there's no way your annual rye lasted until
September unless you call brown stubble lawn. Your rye lasted until June at
best. Planting annual rye in the spring is a royal waste of resources and a
poor recommendation. If rye will germinate, so will most cool season
perennial grasses.

--
Baine

Old 25-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Robert

Thanks Brad,

The reason I asked about Ironite was that I overheard part of a conversation
in which the manager of a big landscaping firm swore by Ironite along with
fertilizer when planting grass. The Ironite package claims that it promotes
strong root growth but I'm old enough to not believe everything I read,
especially advertising copy. ;-)

I see road crews and landscapers successfully plant grass in the spring all
the time around here so there must be some secret to it. I've noticed the
straw that road crews use is different from the stuff you can get a Lowes,
HD or the garden centers.

Right now I'm trying out Southern Gold (the only grass seed I've been able
to get growing here) and Espoma Organic Lawn Food (
http://www.espoma.com/default.asp?st...ryID=3&id =20 ) .
If anyone has a better suggestion for seed (shade, clay soil that has been
amended but still compacts easily when walked on) or how to get good results
I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 25-03-2004, 10:55 PM

In article , Robert wrote:
Thanks Brad,

The reason I asked about Ironite was that I overheard part of a conversation
in which the manager of a big landscaping firm swore by Ironite along with
fertilizer when planting grass. The Ironite package claims that it promotes
strong root growth but I'm old enough to not believe everything I read,
especially advertising copy. ;-)

I see road crews and landscapers successfully plant grass in the spring all
the time around here so there must be some secret to it. I've noticed the
straw that road crews use is different from the stuff you can get a Lowes,
HD or the garden centers.

The secret is they almost always have to reseed in the fall. But in the
case of a shoulder of a road you just want the grass to hold long enough
for the weeds and crabgrass and such to take over and hold the soil.
Likewise the landscapers reseed bare areas knowing little will survive
but even dead grass holds soil better than no grass. Plus landscapers
may be putting in irrigation systems also.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

Old 26-03-2004, 10:35 PM
DonS

In article , brad heidinger wrote:
Oh yeah,
I don't personally use wheat straw. I believe it only brings weed seeds into
the
yard as well as my neighbors.

My experience has been much better when using wheat straw than without. I'm
not sure if it does a better job of keeping the seed moist, confusing birds,
etc.

Of course, after 20+ years of reseeding fescue, I'm looking to start moving
the yard over to Zoysia or similar this year.

If you haven't seen it, the NC State web site has nice info on establishing
and maintaining a lawn. The publication used to be called "Carolina Lawns" or
somthing like that.

-don
Old 27-03-2004, 12:14 AM
Robert

Thanks,

That was just what I was looking for:

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/pubs/ag69.html

FWIW - I spoke to the people at my local Southern States store yesterday and
they recommended straw for spring seeding and no straw for fall seeding.

Robert

"DonS" wrote in message
. com...
In article , brad heidinger