Old 27-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Mike LaMana

Default Green Ash and High Temps

Cubby:

I ran the grounds Dept. for a college in Santa Fe for a time, and we had
numerous Fraxinus pennsylvannica on campus and in town. They do OK, but will
scorch in excessively hot, dry summers. However, I rarely thought of this as
a real problem as the species is pretty tough.
More importantly they seem to be able to handle the concrete that passes for
soil in the area. I would not shy away from the species, especially if you
are in a position to water it occasionally.

I cannot speak to the heat resistance of the cultivars you mentioned.

Good luck...
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya,
I've found a local source for some Ash trees that are much larger than the
typical nursery offerings and at what I think is a reasonable price.

They
have several varieties but I have a concern on one of them. I'm looking

put an Ash tree into my yard. They carry the plain Ash, (Pennsylvanica
Fraxinus I believe). I live in New Mexico where the summers are hot, dry,
and sometimes windy. I have heard that the pennsylvanica doesn't handle
heat well and will actually burn in hot temps/wind. Unfortunately, they
don't carry Raywoods, Marshall's, etc... Anyone have any inputs on whether
the Green Ash would work well in my enviro?

Thanks much.
jlc